Sunday, March 13, 2016

Everything is More Similar than Different



This post comes to you from Denmark where I'm visiting a friend. What I've found so interesting is the landscape is similar to other places I've been. While taking the train, looking out the window, I was reminded of Middle America -- except there were more windmills. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought I was passing through Iowa.

Then today at the beach, I looked around and the combination of the sand's color, dunes, and water reminded me of the Outer Banks in North Carolina. I'm sure there are some places in Denmark that are completely unique to this region, but today at the beach, I was reminded things are more the same than they are different, and especially in these times, it's important to keep looking at what binds us rather than what divides us.

I thought about including a windmill pic but how could I resist this photo?
I thought about including a windmill pic, but how could I resist this photo?

In our world today, there are some people who are trying to create division. People who are trying to use one group or another as a scapegoat for the world's problems. That to me is dangerous. When we start saying, "All of these people are like this," or "Those people are like that," we further enhance our separateness. It's when we start creating an "us" and "them" mindset that it becomes easier to mistreat people. It's easier to justify atrocious acts when a person becomes someone who is "not like me."

My spiritual teacher says this kind of thinking makes different groups become more violent toward each other, which is extremely dangerous for human civilization.

Haven't we had enough of that? I'm not naïve enough to think there will never be any conflicts in the world, but I think we start moving in a better direction when we realize, to paraphrase Shakespeare, that we all bleed when we are pricked. We all feel pain and joy. We all want to be happy and to realize our dreams.

My teacher also says, "The collectivity is not outside you – your future is inseparably connected with the collective fortune. You must take the entire collectivity with you and move towards the sweetest radiance of the new crimson dawn, beyond the veil of the darkest night."

I think we move towards the sweetest radiance of the new crimson dawn when we realize we are more similar than we are different. Heck, not just us as people, but also the landscape, as I've discovered while I've been in Denmark. We are not that different, you and I.

I dream of a world where we remember we are more similar than we are different. A world where we focus on what unites us rather than divides us. A world where we remember people are people everywhere. A world where we work together to move toward the new crimson dawn.

Another world is not only possible, it's probable.

No comments:

Post a Comment